“Transformation” is one of the most overused words in business, and its popularity has left us with definitions that don’t always align with each other. This is especially true of “sales transformation.”
What is sales transformation?
We define it as a wholesale change in go-to-market strategy and execution that requires salespeople to have fundamentally different conversations with prospective buyers. Common scenarios include:
- Mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
- Major product innovation (i.e., it changes buyer conversations)
- Going after new markets or buyers
- Adopting a new sales methodology
What does transformation mean for sales enablement?
In any true sales transformation, the goal is “re-boarding” the entire field force while minimizing the transformation’s impact on productivity and revenue. Sales enablement leaders should strive for transformational readiness, through which reps are equipped with the knowledge and skills to have new conversations.
Transformational readiness activities – such as training, coaching and content creation – should begin at the sales manager level. After all, your managers are responsible for implementing the transformation strategy, and reps simply won’t follow it without their buy-in.
Tips for sales enablement leaders include:
- Educating managers on the new learning paths you will provide for the sales force
- Creating a dedicated team of in-house experts responsible for ensuring reps have mastered new selling scenarios; this team should include sales ops, sales management, reps and marketing
- Highlighting early success stories to prove to reps that the transformation is working (sales readiness technology is especially useful here)
Why does transformational readiness matter?
In this video, Brainshark’s Chief Readiness Officer, Jim Ninivaggi, explains why having a plan for transformational readiness – one of the 4 pillars of sales readiness – can help you be more successful when training your reps during sales transformations.
For more on sales transformation, check out our exclusive eBook, Sales Transformations: A Sales Enablement Survival Guide.